If I could trade in a sibling like a car, she'd be the upgrade..

Penny Arcade

Woot!

   

Coming soon...

   

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Destination: Awesome

See? Do you see what happens to Der Bloggen when Andrew goes back to work?

Ok, yes - only a day or five off from making with the updates, but it's not like anyone really pays attention to this. Except you crazy cats in Thailand** - smooches!

**Yeah, you didn't think I was paying any attention to the site's traffic, did ya?**


So! Where are we here...I smell bullet points:

- At last recall, Kelly's birthday weekend was a smashing success, although I only heard of the corndog & french fry rally second-hand via Amy and the kids. Kelly herself actually relayed some very funny thoughts on birthdays, of which I share the very same perspective. Go hit up the LJ and enjoy the commentary.

- Kind of last minute notice, but I finally got to meet Amy's very good friend\former man-nanny (also known as a 'Manny'), Andy.

Now, up to that point late last week, my only knowledge of Andy the Manny was related in very funny anecdotals from Amy's vida loca, as it were. Still, I had no real preconceived notions about the guy, other than knowing that Amy cared about him greatly, and he stepped up and really helped her out when she needed it the most a while back (hence the Manny bit - at the request of Amy's brother, Andy was sent on a mission, one he knew he may not survive or return from with all digits\appendages intact).

The mission was to help her in any way he could, and at the time, Amy being single mom with kids in tow, full-time job, and all the in-betweens of the Life Pinata, The Manny was born of fire and chaos.

A tough assignment to be sure - it takes a certain type to not just get along with the kids, but to understand them and know how to work with them. Andy met that challenge and more, and, as Amy tells it, was truly a savior when she needed it the most in her life. He even managed to get locked out on the balcony for what I can only imagine as far too long, and yet, did NOT stuff Child A or B into the fridge once free of his patio prison sentence.

Because of all that, I knew that I was going to like the guy, and I wasn't wrong.

He recently became a long-haul trucker, and having just graduated from truck driving school somewhere in Montana, was going to be in town over the weekend, priming to make a delivery this Monday. Being last-minute is just sort of the way of Andy according to Amy, and sure - wrinkled our plans of a quiet weekend at home working on our projects and watching football, but I've quickly learned that, with Amy, the best-laid plans are merely wistful forethoughts rather than hard & fast action items. Which, truth be told, is a very, very good thing in my life.

So Andy rolled into town, found a place to park his 53 ft. trailer and we pretty much hung out all weekend and had a great time.
He's a really interesting guy, and a few beers into the evening on Saturday, we started throwing around some incredibly funny ideas for the screenplay, most of which I did manage to scribble down in some form or another. It was also fun to hear some of the related Amy stories from his perspective, and it was easy to see that he really did care about her and the kids...he's just one of those rare friends that will always come through for you when you need it the most in life, and him being a big part of Amy's recent history, it was an absolute pleasure getting to meet and hang out with him.

It was also a little litmus test for me to pass, whether I wanted it to be or not.

This was really the first opportunity for me to meet and interact with someone near and dear to Amy's life that was not a mutual friend, acquaintance or coworker. Andy and I were heading back to the house from Kent (the nearest truck stop we could locate that had the banking facilities he needed), and he said something to the effect of being 'very happy and glad that Amy found someone like [me]'...and that, well...

It meant a lot to me. Perhaps more than I had initially realized, but to receive the approval from someone that Amy loves and trusts like that - that was a big deal for me...for us, and I thanked him in kind for saying as much. Then he bought me lunch as thanks for driving him to Kent, and we returned to being not-gay guys grunting over football and smoking and drinking too much.

All told, another fine weekend, and very much what I needed to keep myself sane prior to starting back to work. I use the term work loosely at the moment, as I'm currently spending the next couple of days just immersing myself in as much data as I can find about my new project and related applications\products. The guy giving the training material is kind of bland, but in all honesty, this is the most useful online training material I've ever experienced. Kudos to whoever created Producer for MS PowerPoint...that app is friggin' cool.

- Almost forgot: Thanksgiving is just about upon us, and as such, it is only right that I provide to you (yes, even you in Thailand) my tried and tested deep-fried turkey recipe and preparation steps.

Now to preface this: if you've never experienced deep-fried turkey, then you have most certainly not lived a full and complete life to this point. If by some horrible twist of events, or the world just seems to be plottin' on you and cannot acquire even a sampling of what we refer to as the DFT (Deep-Fried Turkey), then please email me directly, get directions to where I'll be this coming Thursday\Turkey Day, and I will set aside a portion of my very own DFT...just for you. You.

Oh, looks like I've got some more reading to do here at work, so I'm going to relay the Do-It-Yourself DFT steps and recipes later today. Trust me, it'll be worth the wait.

ILY

\\end

sinj.rage@gmail.com

Comments on "Destination: Awesome"

 

post a comment
My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

I'm old. I'm only 30, but some days I feel *old*. I have a beautiful 6 year old daugher. A nice life. A loving family. A gorgeous girlfriend. Yep, pretty boring. But dammit I'm here to write about it and you can't stop me!

Powered by Blogger